Saturday, April 19, 2008

Unanswered prayers

It is funny when you pray to God for whatever is ailing or your needs/wants and you don't seem to get the answer you expect. Garth Brooks has a song titled, "Unanswered Prayers". I listened to it today on my way back from my "first" training session with my new position as a parent trainer/ABA instructor. I spent 4 hours sitting on the floor in a therapy room listening to the owner of this corporation talk about parent training, aba training, and where her organization is going. I listened to her philosophy and expectations of her employees and cringed. Everything I have ever learned as an educator is on the opposite side of her beliefs. She is not interested in research, data, or trials. As an educator research determines what strategy or curriculum we use/try. Data drives instruction. I even own a shirt with that saying. Trials prove strategies and provide data for further instruction. Sounds rote doesn't it? I think she realized just what she got when she hired me. I have extensive knowledge in school districts/ARDs, I am BCBA certified (which I haven't told her), CPI certified, (I can restrain a child), and I have a decent reputation in the special education section in SA. As the time ticked on and my ass was getting numb I prayed silently asking if this is really for me.. (I don't have any other options now).. As I left the building Terri (boss lady) came up to me and thanked me for hanging in. She understands how this may seem out of my comfort zone and familiarity but it is worth it. Her clients are mainly Autistic children who need committed people such as myself. God's unanswered prayer. AND it pays extremely well.. So, I have a schedule of 30 hours over the next 2 weeks to shadow people. If this is God's intentions for me so be it. I just hope he answers my prayer and I will get a teaching contract for next year.

No comments: