Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Riley

Over the next few blogs I am going to introduce the world to my dogs. Starting with the number one and top dog. Riley..

She was born in March and is 3 years old. The journey for Riley did not begin with the purpose of getting her. I went out with a group of school colleagues to look at a litter of lab pups out in Pleasanton, TX. One in the group wanted to get a chocolate lab for his wife. He just lost his female German Shepard and was looking for a mate for his male Shepard Duke. There were 4 pups in the litter, 2 males and 2 females.. The chocolate lab (Mona) was a female and Riley was the other female. She was so cute and shy I spent quite some time with her while the group was looking at the others. However, I almost did not get her. The wife wanted her instead of the chocolate but he, of course, got his way.. And I got my way.. I got her. She is registered as a yellow lab but is actually white, I looked it up and it is considered an American lab. She is so sweet and patient. Her pup years were filled with classes and a loss of some shoes and a pair of glasses but that's all. Riley soared in her classes and was/is eager to please.. When she was younger, lighter, and smaller I took her everywhere..Riley loves to retrieve but gets lazy if the ball goes to far.. She does NOT like water that much.. Go figure.. She does get in the pools outside but steps in and steps out..

I decided that I wanted her to have one litter before I spayed her. I bred her with a block head chocolate lab named Thor. Several months later in July, Riley had not one, or four, but 8 all chocolate pups. She was a caring, nurturing, and attentive mom.. Riley now is mothering to my third but and is has gain a few pounds. I have nicknamed her Jenny (Craig).. We are working on getting the extra pounds off..

When it came to find homes for her pups I would talk to her about the future owners. I found homes for all the pups but one. The largest, most curious, and noisy but whom I nicknamed Brutus.. I kept him and renamed him Seamus.. He will be my next blog entry..







Isn't she beautiful?

Still breathing..

No comments: