Friday, May 8, 2009

Field Day

Today was field day at school. I have not participated in field day since I was in primary school. My partner and I walked our 35 students (luckily several students were absent) 6 blocks to the high school football field, set up a zone of proximity/boundaries for the kids and then cheered as each one of our kids participated in one of 6 events.

When we began the temperature was almost nice (small breeze), but as the events and time passed so did the breeze and the heat began to creep in. Add 75% humidity and by lunch time I was slowly burning the first layer of skin. Yes, I did apply sunscreen several time but with the sun bouncing off metal bleachers it didn't seem to provide much relief. My fellow colleagues are very competitive and at the end of each heat/event there was a berat of "loser" we are beating you.

I am happy to say that my guys came through at the shotput, discs, and long jump. We scored 1st and 2nd in each event!! My partner scored 3rd in all three. So, at the end of a very long morning Berry's class was victorious over Sagemuehl class. Which is important because they needed to be taken down a peg.. I must say that after a year here my competitive nature has come to the surface..

We made it back to school @ 1:30 where we let the kids have some time while I put grades in, cleaned and organized my room and had a chance to write this blog..

Tired, sore, burned, and a little smelly

No comments: