Monday, May 18, 2009

Countdown

On the final countdown to the last day of school. Tomorrow is the last TAKS of the school year and it is Math. Hopefully, several of my students will pass and avoid summer school. Most of them have worked hard and are ready for it. I am anxious and ready for tomorrow to be over with. These kids have had a total of 13 teaching days to reinforce what they are lacking unlike reading who has 31 days before the 2nd administration. In a state where students are behind in Math based on US norms and worldwide averages I do not understand why Texas hasnt provided more time for reinforcement and small group instruction. I had to be creative this year and hand off 10 of my students who missed more than 10 questions to pass so I can concentrate on those that missed it by 9 or less, (supposedly they have more hope to pass.) But what am I really saying to them? They are not as important? Their scores nor effort do not matter? They will pass because of their age and not their scores or because they have already failed once before? I do not know. What I do know is that this year I have learned that standardize testing is not measure to use for determining knowledge and skills obtained this year.

Okay the bell has rung and I have duty to go to..

No comments: